Marrying the Navy

I'll be the first to admit, I am not your typical new Navy wife. I didn't grow up in a military town, I don't foresee myself adding miniature camo dressed replicas of my family to the back of my car, and the acronyms still confuse me. Don't get me wrong, I love my sailor and I am very proud of him. I just never would imagine that I would refer to myself as a military wife (or say the phrase I love my sailor for that matter...).

This crazy world that has become my life over the past three years still has its way of surprising me. I know that they say we cannot help who we fall in love with, but do not enter this life lightly. Be prepared to be hit with some baggage, and I am not talking about a Marc Jacobs sling. This baggage is a 560 ft, steel, SUBMARINE shadowing your life for the extent of his enlistment. Do not be fooled your husband or husband to be is not the only one on this sub. Sure he is the one stuck on it for three months but you are just as much a part of the boat as he. There will be lonely nights, moments of anger, and lots of separation. My suggestion, get a dog.

This life is not for the weak. Sure we all have our moments of weakness and breakdown. But we get through it each time we have to say goodbye before the sunrises telling ourselves they will be safe. We master putting on a happy face before we head into work so no one will see our pain. Be prepared to plan around duty days, last minute underways, and any other possible interruptions the command can come up with. This will never be easy, but building a strong network of people you love and trust can be priceless during these times.

Don't worry along with all of this madness does come some happy times. The free medical, tax free booze, and having rent paid for don't hurt either. I plan to take you through this new chapter of my life as a navy wife. I'll touch on some advice for planning your wedding, tips for cheap travel, and try to walk you through some of the confusing military protocol (as I figure it out).

I couldn't be more excited about embarking on this journey and hope you will follow my progress and I would love to hear your stories as well.

Learn more about becoming a new Navy wife and all of my tips and tricks for planning the perfect wedding, finding affordable honeymoon ideas, and maximizing military benefits at http://www.newnavywife.com/


Original article

No comments: