Getting a Handle on Anger

"People with repressed anger are like pressure cookers. If a pressure cooker doesn't have an outlet to let off steam, it eventually explodes, and the food that was inside ends up all over the place. You have to let the cooker cool down, run it under cool water and then gently release the pressure." ~ Mack and Brenda Timberlake

Can you recall a time when you got angry and it felt like something began to take over you? After becoming angry, you probably did one of three things: You blew up and said things that you shouldn't, you bottled it up inside of you or found a way to recover.

As spouses it is imperative that we learn how to channel anger. We must find an outlet to rid ourselves of steam or negative emotions before an explosion take place. Some people take a walk, some pray, some go for a jog and others may engage in a favorite pastime. Whatever it is, find something that works for you. Personally, I have multiple channels which include solitude. This will work only if you are able to discontinue it in a decent amount of time; you should not go off alone for an extended period of time. It can send mix messages to your spouse and cause things to become worse.

After diffusing, you are then in a better position to resolve or at least discuss the issue without "hitting below the belt" or saying things that are harmful as they say in boxing. Many times I have said things that I not only regretted but that I couldn't take back. I've heard people say "Ahhh I'm sorry honey, I take back what I said about your mother". [Just a little in-law humor] The reality is, once words are released into the atmosphere you cannot retrieve them.

Unfortunately in some cases some hostile environments can lead to abuse, infidelity, or even death. However, if we choose to govern the choices we make then we can produce safer and more productive outcomes.

The Bible tells us to "pursue peace." Hebrews 12:14-15 It is vital that we make a sure effort to keep a peaceful lifestyle. Why? Everything opposite of peace is destructive to others as well as ourselves. For example, stress causes harmful toxins to be released into your body that negatively affects your health. I remember getting upset and because I wasn't focused on my surroundings, I accidentally hit my foot against a piece of hard metal. I don't believe God placed that metal there to teach me a lesson but I do believe that He used the pain to get my attention.

What about you? How do you devoid yourself of anger?

Find more inspiring and informing articles from Saleena here:

http://www.marriagelounge.blogspot.com/


Original article

No comments: